The Department of Civil Engineering was unofficially established in 1897 where it was made mention of the first clear separation of civil and mechanical engineering and the first undergraduate degree in civil engineering were awarded to 4 individuals in 1888.
Over the decades, we have seen 8 department heads(listed), starting from year 1893, but wasn't until 1915 that the term 'Department Head' was first mentioned.
- Julius James Knoch (1893-1918)
- George Patrick Stocker (1919-1948)
- Warren Russell Spencer (1948-1950)
- Loren R. Heiple (1950-1971)
- E. Walter LeFevre (1971-1982)
- James C. Young (1982-1991)
- Robert P. Elliot (1991-2005)
- Kevin D. Hall (2005-2016)
- W. Micah Hale (2016-present)